-
July 6th, 2003, 01:14 AM
#1
Inactive Member
Hey All,
I am looking for info/advice on the best combination of parts to upgrade to 8 psi with ability of going to 10 psi. with the least amount of additional $. I am primarily looking for reliability and drivability as this car is my daily driver. The setup I've had for about 4 years for my '95 Integra GSR sedan is:
JRSC @ 6 psi
Cartech 20005 FPR (52 psi @ idle, about 95 psi @ 6 max boost)
stock injectors
high output Walbro fuel pump
AEM cold air intake
J&S Safeguard (timing set to 12 degrees advance)
fuel presure and boost gauges
NGK BKR7E-11 spark plugs
After doing a search and reading the more recent posts, this is what I have determined I need:
Larger injectors, I would like to stay with stock style which I believe are high impedence saturation type. I am considering Prelude 290 cc/min. or Venom 310 cc/min., but I don't know if either would support 10 psi. Cost about $300-$350 a set.
An SMC to eliminate the small amount of tip-in detonation that I have @ 6 psi. Cost $120-$180.
I could get the injectors and SMC before going to 8 psi. and go back to the stock fuel pump and lower fuel pressures. The SMC would eliminate the need for the Cartech, right?
3 inch exhaust, Kamakazi header with Thermal cat-back exhaust with stealth option. I haven't had time to look at a 3 inch catalytic converter yet. Cost about $1000 for exhaust system.
I have a blower pulley for 8 psi. but don't think I want to take off the SC to put the pulley on. So, I would need a stepper pulley and belt to go to 8 psi. and another stepper pulley and belt to go to 10 psi. or put the blower pulley on with the 8 psi. stepper pulley. Cost about $160 for each pulley with belt.
Total for 8 psi. $1580-$1690
Additional cost for 10 psi. $160
Sorry for the long involved post, but I want to do this right the 1st time.
Thanks In Advance,
-
July 6th, 2003, 08:21 AM
#2
Inactive Member
Buy a MVM stepper pulley and Hondata (with 440 injectors) from Jim (JRcivic) and then go get it dyno tuned at TurboTune in Greensboro NC. Here is there number (336) 378-1252.
A water injection kit will keep it cool under boost bringing intake temps down to 110F.
-
July 7th, 2003, 12:05 PM
#3
Inactive Member
Not to start a war but I would bring nothing to turbo tune. A guy from Knoxville brought him his 93 teg with a fully built motor turbo charged and AEM EMS. The dude at turbo tune ran the car on the dyno over 100 pulls to tune the AEM. after it was all said and done he charged the guy $2000 and the car still ran like shit. just my 2 cents. I would get 440's and hondata and let Jim tune it. you know it will be right and if you have any issues with it he will take care of you!!!
-
July 7th, 2003, 01:29 PM
#4
Inactive Member
Your stock injectors wont support 8psi?
-
July 7th, 2003, 02:34 PM
#5
Inactive Member
My personal thoughts on turbo tune. I can only speak of my own experience. I am sorry your buddy got ripped. $2000 worth of tunning better find 50 horsepower and win some trophies. That's rediculas!
For $400 and 6 hours of labor he reconfigured my ECU to accept the hondata box, made 14 dyno runs to modify the base map (downloaded from hondata), did 8 dyno runs to tune my cam gears and we spent an hour and a half driving in town and on the freeway remapping the off-boost and transition to boost curves. At the end of the day, I had no lope at idle (used to surge between 500 and 1000rpm from my big cam), cranked over faster, ran 30 degrees cooler, accelerated a half second faster and increased my fuel mileage by 7mpg (19 on the way there vs 26 on the way home on 2 lane roads).
The base map from hondata made an additional 3hp, and he found 15 more HP on top of that. On 93 octane we took it as high as 21 degrees advance with no sound of detonation, but backed it off to 18 for safety sake and only 2hp loss. This is due to my low compression and water injection. Taking my last engine (11:1 compression with 5psi)to 14 degrees began very noticable detonation. So I left very happy with 18 more HP than I arrived with and new stock felling from the engine.
After my tunning session I watched him tune the Castrol Naturally-aspirated Neon drag car that won second place at nationals last summer. In a hour he was able to extract 35 more horsepower between 9000 and 10,500rpm with computer data-logging and carb tunning. I don't know what he was doing but the dyno didn't lie.
He has also hondata tunned a natural-aspirated low-mid 13 second Yellow Type R I ran into at Rockingham dragway last fall. With TODA cams, vavles, vavle springs and comptech boltons he put down 210hp at 9000rpm. Makes you reconsider a blower huh?
All I can say is I was impressed. And his price was right.
-
July 7th, 2003, 04:33 PM
#6
Inactive Member
4 door GSR...Here is what I recommend...Buy a MVM stepper pulley and Hondata (with 440 injectors) from Jim (JRcivic) and then go get it dyno tuned at Steven Sakai shop in Virginia...he is well know for tuning the Hondata...there was just another thread about East Coast Tuners and he was talked about in there...check in there(link is below)
East Coast Tuners Thread
Steven Sakai's Website
PS...shit I did know there were any other Raleigh guys on this board!!...I am also in the Raleigh area...hit me up maybe we can meet sometime
-
July 7th, 2003, 07:06 PM
#7
Inactive Member
I have been running 9 psi using a stepper pulley, JR BTC and Walbro hi-flow pump for a year now. No problems at all. This is on stock injectors. I do know that I am on the limit for fueling and if I were in your position (wanting 8 psi with option to jump to 10) then I would do what folks here advise. Go 440 with Hondata. Also, I would not even consider a 3" exhaust.....in my opinion, totally redundant and obnoxiously loud. The max I would go would be 2.5" and even 2.25" would be just fine for your state of tune.
-
July 8th, 2003, 01:42 PM
#8
Inactive Member
Just a couple of suggestions:
1. Go ahead and do the 10-11 psi upgrade. Eliminating the middle step (8 psi) will save you time and money.
2. Look into a larger crank pulley to increase boost. The MVM stepper pulley is a good product, but smaller blower pulleys decrease the surface area contact with the belt. This makes it more likely that the belt will slip. I know that some guys use the CRV crank pulley to get around 10 psi. Search here and hondatech.com for more info on this.
3. Go ahead and get the 440 injectors. This will allow you to run at lower fuel pressure. That means less wear on the fuel pump and less strain on the fuel lines. If your 95 is OBDI then hondata might be a good idea, but you can run safely and get plenty of power without it.
4. No need for a 3" exhaust, but 2.25" would be too small. Go for a 2.5". Besides, Kamikaze doesn't make a 3" header. If "stealth option" means a silencer then don't do it. There is no point in getting a free-flowing exhaust if you are going to drive around with it plugged up. The only time I would recommend a silencer is when someone has a car with a wide open exhaust for racing that also needs to be driven on the streets. I got a custom 2.5" system with two resonators (like the stock Type-R) and a straight through magnaflow muffler. I also replaced the cat with a $25 glass-packed muffler (some guys call them resonators). It flows GREAT and isn't much louder than stock.
Good luck. Be sure to let us know how it turns out.
-
July 8th, 2003, 11:29 PM
#9
Inactive Member
There's another option you might consider. Change out your crank pulley for a lightweight unorthodox SC 8psi pulley. That would give you a set-up a bit better than any 8 set-up.
On the cheap, a SMC and 440s would work fine.
-
July 13th, 2003, 03:34 PM
#10
Inactive Member
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks